Rock506070Log in

Retrospective reviews of classics

L’administrateur a configuré le blog "album reviews" afin qu’il ne soit pas nécessaire de s’enregistrer pour répondre aux articles.

John Lennon

John Lennon

'Imagine' was John Lennon's second major release in solo. Released on Sept 9 1971 (US) and Oct 8 1971 (UK), it has remained John's most commercially successful album. It was recorded primarily in John's home studio which turned out to be the last time he would ever record in England.

John Lennon R-382810

Produced by: John Lennon, Yoko Ono and Phil Spector
Engineered by: Philip McDonald, Eddie Klein,
Eddie Offord, Eddie Veal and Eddie Beer
Cover Design and Photo by: Yoko Ono
Label: Apple SW-3379

1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It's So Hard
5. I Don't Want To Be A Soldier
6. Give Me Some Truth
7. Oh My Love
8. How Do You Sleep?
9. How?
10. Oh Yoko!

John Lennon's 2nd solo album, is very different from it's predecessor in term of production, music, and lyrics. Spector co-produced them both with John and Yoko. But it would seem that for imagine, he'd been offered more freedom to let go his creativity and to do it his own way. The recording took place in Ascot, Lennon's house in the UK before he settled in the U.S for good. Those of you who saw the DVD know what kind of atmosphere surrounded those sessions.

Lennon sought the help of friends; George Harrison on lead guitar, Klaus Voorman on bass, Nicky Hopkins on piano, and three drummers play different tracks Jim Keltner Jim Gordon  and Alan White. King Curtis's Saxo will give to some tracks an interesting sound .The song 'Imagine' is the great classic that we all know and love, one of Lennon's most popular tune without any doubt many people believe the song was recorded by The Beatles. Now Yoko Ono recently insisted to be credited as co-writer of the song in future releases..

'Crippled Inside' with it's great arrangement's, funny lyrics, John plays a great guitar part on that one, Klaus Voorman is on Bass, Nicky Hopkins on piano and Harrison plays Dobro. 

'Jealous Guy' was a rough demo for the white album, and john decided to use it on Imagine. This track has turned into such a great classic it's been covered so many times, it's such a beautiful song.

'It's So Hard' and 'Don't wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die' they both sound more Spectoresque than the rest.  King Curtis plays a mean saxo on both tracks, Harrison is on slide, 'Don't Wanna Be A Soldier' sounds very bluesy. It seems to have been cut from endless funky sessions it sounds specially great in the 'Imagine' remaster.

'Gimme Some Truth' is my personal favourite. It's just perfect, and each time i hear it, it produces that sensation in my guts. Lennon's way to protest had reach more maturity call it intelligent sarcasm. George Harrison's solo on that one is breath-taking.

'Oh My Love' was written by Yoko as a poem and John wrote that melody to it. Nicky Hopkins adds his touch to the track with an electric piano. That one had been selected for the white album too but ended up on "Imagine" instead.

'How Do You Sleep' was later described by John as an angry letter to Paul: "I don't think that way about him everyday of my life" he once said. The lyrics were angry mean and cruel. It was a reply to what Paul McCartney said on his "Ram" album ("Too Many People" ect). The George Harrison solo (and slide guitar) was later described by John as "the best Harrison solo to date".  I agree with him.

'How' yet another Lennon gem with beautifully balanced lyrics and a chorus so beautiful it breaks your heart. It's in those kind of tracks that we can judge Phil Spector's creativity.

'Oh Yoko' nice melody that's for sure but boring lyrics.

So 'Imagine' confirmed John Lennon as a real solo artist he proved that he was able to fill albums with songs without the Beatles, and he could deliver those albums without fillers. He was still searching his sound, but i think Spector had found the right way to record that peculiar voice that was Lennon's his natural talent to write protest songs was taking shape and it could be felt very strongly here.

'Imagine' could have been the blue print of what the albums of the early seventies were going to be: fully produced albums glittering with their saxophones. Us, fans appreciated the album   and 'Imagine' climbed at once at number one. John Lennon's second best album in a painfully short solo discography.

John Lennon: lead vocals, pianos, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, whistling
Klaus Voormann: bass, upright bass
Alan White: drums
Jim Keltner: drums
Jim Gordon: drums
Alan White: drums
George Harrison: lead Guitar, Slide, dobro
Nicky Hopkins: piano
King Curtis: saxophone

Comments

No Comment.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum: