Rock506070Log in

Retrospective reviews of classics

L’administrateur a configuré le blog "album reviews" afin qu’il ne soit pas nécessaire de s’enregistrer pour répondre aux articles.

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin

Band: Led Zeppelin
Album: III

Led Zeppelin 200815120911383437

With the Beatles gone, Led Zep was on top by 1970 with only the Rolling Stones as rivals. So, anyone would have expected a continuity of 'bluesy' Led Zep II, but instead they tried different options, and thereby inventing 'Hard Folk'.. But it just worked. Gone were much of the Blues elements that prevailed in the first two albums. Led Zep III brought more fans in. Those songs, will later provide something new for their concerts acoustic sets, with Page on acoustic Plant singing with an occasional tambourine to shake, John Paul Jones on mandolin, and 'Bonzo' playing bongos.

SIDE 1

1.Immigrant song. The intro is spectacular The best hard song they've ever made . The lyrics are about the Vikings as demonstrated by the lines "we come from the land of the ice and snow/we drive our ships to new lands/Valhalla I'm coming" And with that brilliant line by the last verse "so now you better stop and rebuild all your ruins/for peace and trust can win the day in spite of all your losing". That song really was a powerful rocker used as an album intro. It does not feature a guitar solo but Robert Plant's voice on that track, is beyond compare. This song is just Fantastic.

2. Friends. Personally, I've never been an enthusiast for that one. It's a kind of experiment. It's an odd acoustic experimental. Jones's synth by the end, is to cover up a production mistake by Jimmy Page during the sessions I believe. (He accidentally erased the bass and drums intro of 'Celebration Day'}.

3. Celebration Day. I've always loved that one. The drums, the chorus, and that slide is highly powerful. "Mama I'm so happy, I'm gonna join a band..." That was a very successful humorous attempt by Robert Plant.

4. Since I've Been Loving You. I've always thought that one could have been part of the II. It's the closest we come to the Blues in that album. And those lyrics could have been written by B.B King himself. Many prefer it live. I think it's the best track in this tracklist. No less.

5. Out On The Tiles That intro, that solo, when the chorus kicks in. Big guitar, big drums, great way to close the side one of the vinyl.

Side 2

1. Gallows Pole. The acoustic, the lyrics Page's mandolin the bass, announcing the drums, everything is just perfect. Robert  Plant sings very well here. This song was a remake of an old song by Bluesman Hudley Ledbetter A.K.A 'Leadbelly'.  A beautiful emotional song that could be branded as 'Folk Rock' if there was.

2. Tangerine. Now I really love that one, always did always will. Everything is perfect here: the acoustic, Plant's voice, and that elegant little solo. The lyrics are from Jimmy Page by the way. Some say that Jimmy Page was a cheap lyricist compared to Plant, so be it. Anyway that sad song can take my blues away. It's serene.

3. That's The Way. That one will always recall nice memories in me. The acoustic the slide the chorus the story. It's like the rays of the sun reflecting on that album. I believe it's the Led Zep acoustic favorite of many. Its very emotional like 'Tangerine' and it offered proof that Led Zeppelin was more than volume and extended guitar solos. There was great songwriting as well.

4. Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp is the place where they recorded most of those tracks. There is a fantastic strumming job here as well. It's a very original track.

5. Hats off To (Roy) Harper. This track, evokes the old delta Blues Gods. But today I find it annoying. It just not passed the test of time in my opinion.

A legendary album that takes a lot of playing to really be appreciated. But when it hits you it's aiming for the gut.

bd

Led Zeppelin 200815121609155655

Personnel:

Jimmy Page - Acoustic, electric, and pedal steel guitar, backing vocals, producer
Robert Plant - Vocals, harmonica
John Paul Jones - Bass guitar, organ, mandolin, backing vocals
John Bonham - Drums, percussion, backing vocals
Peter Grant - Executive producer
Andy Johns - Engineer, mixing
Eddie Kramer - Mixing (Track 6)
Zacron - Visual creations
"That's the Way" (Page/Plant) 5:37
"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" (Page/Plant/Jones) 4:16 (misspelled as Bron-Y-Aur Stomp on most pressings)
"Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" (trad arr Charles Obscure...a pseudonym?) 3:42

Total album length: 43:04 minutes

Comments

No Comment.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum