Rock506070Log in

Retrospective reviews of classics

L’administrateur a configuré le blog "album reviews" afin qu’il ne soit pas nécessaire de s’enregistrer pour répondre aux articles.

The Beatles

The Beatles

Band: The Beatles
Album: Magical Mystery Tour

Released on 27th November 1967 in the United States (full L.P)
And on 8th December 1967 in the U.K. (double E.P. package)

Produced by George Martin
Engineer: Geoff Emerick
Length: 36 minutes 52 seconds

The Beatles R-997912

Track Listing:

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. The Fool On The Hill
3. Flying
4. Blue Jay Way
5. Your Mother Should Know
6. I Am The Walrus
7. Hello Goodbye
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Penny Lane
10. Baby You're A Rich Man
11. All You Need Is Love

Here comes the right moment to write about Magical Mystery Tour. So here i am, comfortably sitting in my old rocking chair, and reminiscing, and the stereo is not playing the album i try to write all that by memory, without even the help of a single archive, and i'll try to make it brief. So here we go ... Roll up Roll up !

First thing first: for me, Magical Mystery tour is the turning point, because we have to consider the fact that Brian Epstein just died, and the Beatles found themselves without a manager, and so it was kind of natural for all, that Paul stepped into his shoes and assume the role of manager.

So that's why i believe Magical Mystery Tour, has been his first project as 'pseudo manager' ... Originally intended to be a movie to be broadcast on TV on Christmas Eve 67' ...

And that's why many had called the movie a failure, because it's been broadcast on TV which was 99 % black and white at the time. And the lack of a plot or any sense of "cohesiveness" didnt help either. It's not been designed to enhance each Beatle personality like "Help" and "A Hard Day's Night" were. It was i believe, very influnced by the recent interest the Beatles had shown to Hinduism and esoterism.

The movie is basically a one-hour description of the adventures of travelers, on an imaginary tour bus, which is taken over, and put through a weird series of events by the "sorcery" of five musicians, the Beatles, and their talented producer George Martin ... That would sum it up nicely i think.

Originally released as a double EP (perhaps the fist in it's kind), Magical was turned into an LP in the United States. I've read many reviews on that album, and many referred to it as the best Beatles album. Mine will always be SGT Pepper, but my affection for Magical Mystery Tour is HUGE ! And by the way the single contained a 24 pages liflet of the films shots.

First of all, it's a collection of the best songs signed by Lennon/Mc Cartney ... John Lennon once declared that album to be his fav in the entire Beatles catalog, and with reasons i'm certain, as 2 of his personnal gems are therein: 'I'm The Walrus' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever'; i think you'll agree with me that those two tracks have never been equaled since then, and never will be ...

What more to say about the production of that album ? well not much, as it's a sort of compilation made of various singles already released at the time, and so those tracks had been choosen to be the soundtrack of the movie, and paul had to write the title track along with some others.

Magical Mystery Tour (McCartney/Lennon)
As usual with a Beatles album, it starts out fast. This is a very good song to sing along with. The brass is neat. In fact, everything is neat. Such a great way to start an album 'Roll Up Roll Up' John's voice along with Paul's, sounds great.

The Fool on the Hill (Paul)
This is one of Paul's chef d'oeuvre, in the way he usually write them, with vivid characters (Eleanor Rigby is another example). One of his best ballads i believe, with that piano and how everyone think the character is a weirdo. A great moment in the film too ...

Flying (credited to the 4 of them)
This one was an innovation it was supposed to be the first instrumental signed by the Beatles. and was used for the best scene in the movie. Great imagery.

Blue Jay Way (George Harrison)
A beautiful song by George, and i guess everyone knows the story behind it. He said he wrote it in Los Angeles in that old house, while waiting for some friends (and some pot?) to show up. There was an organ in the house, and george started to play with it and came up with that melody, (the house still exists, and Blue Jay Way is famous because of the song the organ is on display i think)
Your Mother Should Know (mostly Paul)
Very modest lyrics for a simple song. It's a Typical McCartney tune that just can't grow old as the years pass. Paul wrote it for the "Our World" worldwide TV special project, broadcast in 24 countries but they played 'All You Need Is Love' instead as John just wrote it.

I Am the Walrus ( John )
Finally John shows up. This song is awesome! There's so much going on. The lyrics are fantastic, the melody is fantastic too, and all the instruments being played on it sound incredible. If there was a vote "what is the most incredible song of all times?" Well my vote would go to the Walrus. Awesome song! Period ... (read the special note below).

Hello Goodbye (Paul, mostly)
This was on a single with 'I Am the Walrus'. John said in an interview (just after the split) that it was a shame this song had been chosen to be the side one to 'I'm The Walrus' and so turning the Walrus into a B side ... But let's admit it, 'Hello Goodbye' was more commercial at the time than 'I'm The Walrus' ...

Strawberry Fields Forever (John)
This began what became Sgt. Pepper. The whole song is rather eerie and surreal. John did funny things with his voice, and put in loops, horns, strings, the works. He really fussed over this song, which must mean that it meant a lot to him. It starts very gently, and he really played with his voice on that one. The lyrics are simply beautiful to be honest, and the melody down right incredible. When i hear it, all kind of sweet memories fill my mind. Let's not forget to give the credit where it's due namely Mr George Martin himself.

Penny Lane (John and Paul)
Second track that they recorded for the Sgt Pepper's sessions. The lyrics are great once again and the melody is very catchy esp on the chorus. When Penny Lane was released as a single, and the Beatles had grown mustache thousands of fans had grown mustache too, not to speak of the Penny Lane signs torn apart.. Another awesome song (Gee that album seems to be made up of awesome songs, and i begin to understand those who prefer it to SGT Peppers) ...

Baby You're a Rich Man (John & Paul)
The intro is just great. .The lyrics are in the form of questions/answers. Another great Lennon tune. He was talking to an entire generation of 'new people' who seemed to float into the dream of a glorious period of time.

All You Need is Love
The song that closes the album. It's quite simple really but yet so beautiful. Beautiful is the word that seems to apply to the entire album. Magical Mystery Tour is a BEAUTIFUL album made of eleven beautiful tracks. No more, no less ... I love that album like i've always loved the movie.

bd

Last edited by bd on Thu 17 Sep - 13:54:55; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : updated the sleeve)

Comments

No Comment.
remove_circleSimilar topics
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum