Rock506070Log in

Retrospective reviews of classics

L’administrateur a configuré le blog "album reviews" afin qu’il ne soit pas nécessaire de s’enregistrer pour répondre aux articles.

The Beatles

The Beatles

Band: The Beatles
Album: Rubber Soul

The Beatles Rubber_y1_mo_ejd_large

Release: December 3 1965 Label: Parlophone
Recorded at Abbey Road London England

Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Geoff Emerick
Cover: Robert Freeman

History : Rubber Soul: the rushed one

The first Beatles 'concept' album. Legend has it that the original concept was for it to be a 'comedy album' (that's why the first 2 tracks are kind of comedic). But as always that idea was scrapped early on (like Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane to be on a concept album about Liverpool). With the Paul is dead enthusiasts the upside down heart on the cover represents that there is a false soul among the Beatles; and them peering down is supposed to imply they are peering down at coffin. So why 'Rubber Soul' ? It was a double entendre; representing the rubber sole of a shoe, and a rubber soul. Others believe that they had chosen to call it like that, because the black musicians, who actually gave birth to soul music gave flack to the R&B groups,(stones/Beatles) etc...that tried to be like them. The Beatles, thought 'Rubber Soul' would be a good way of looking at it.

The Beatles 6th album, was released on Dec. 3 1965. The same year the Beatles had made a movie (Help), appeared on the Ed Sullivan show on August 14, and the next day, august 15, they've played for an audience of 55.600 people at the New York She Stadium. One year later, almost day for day, they will give their last concert in San Francisco (Aug 26 66) if we don't count the 'Apple's roof performance, on January 30 1969)...

In that year of 1965, many things had happened in that small rock n roll world; too many things to be listed here, but notably, Eric Clapton quits the Yarbirds on march 13 , the Who record 'My Generation' on Oct 13, Keith Richards, in an hotel room, writes (and almost loses) the riff for 'Satisfaction' bob Dylan goes electric, and the Beatles entered the 'Abbey Road' studios. The 'Rubber Soul' sessions, started early in October. They seemed to be in control of their destiny and were determined to make music to please themselves, rather than please the masses. At first, the fans had not been too receptive to 'Rubber Soul' gone were the 'yeah yeah yeah'.

Thanks to Mr George Martin's alchemy, they will now be able to invent a new sound. That's one of the main reasons, they had decided to give up stage; their music, had undergone a mutation. Not easy to play it live. 'Rubber Soul's' sound sounds that way thanks also to Paul McCartney who had now switched to a Rickenbacker bass. Rubber Soul, is also said to have inspired Brian Wilson to record 'Pet Sounds'. Rubber Soul is truly a brilliant album, and every tracks on it is great.

The US version, of it appeared to have turned it into a 'folk album' and this is just another myth; it's primarily a love songs album, and it shows the songwriting evolution of Lennon/McCartney. That album, really will mark a new era for the Beatles, and music in general.

One last point; 'Rubber Soul' was a VERY rushed release, with the Fabs still recording tracks up to the last minute. EMI, wanted the LP out for Christmas and late night sessions, had to be arranged, so it would be in the shops in time... no such worries for the following year; when they've released their compilation 'A Complete Beatles Collection' oldies instead. Before the start of the 'Revolver' sessions.

Side one:

1) Drive My Car : recorded oct. 13 65. final mix: take 4. That George Harrison guitar intro is forever stuck in me; it's a fantastic Lennon/ McCartney duo, with Paul on piano, George on background vocals, and John on rhythm guitar and tambourine.

2) Norwegian Wood (his Bird Had Flown) : recorded Oct. 12 65, but remade Oct.21, final mix: take 4. It's one of the finest Lennon songs, John plays a capoed acoustic and strums it with all his strength. Paul joins for the chorus, and of course, George?s introduction to sitar wonderful melody, brilliant lyrics.

3) You Won't See Me : recorded Nov. 11 65. Final mix: take 4. Paul plays piano, and sings especially well here, with back vocals by George. It's the new 'Beatle sound'; the bass playing against the vocals, is very effective. Mal Evans (The Beatles roadie) plays Hammond organ.

4) Nowhere Man : recorded Oct. 21/22 65, final mix, take 4. This could be the finest piece of the entire album; John takes us by the hand to show us that new world he'd just discovered. I believe that he wrote it just in time for it to be in the album. A timeless chorus, with such brilliant lyrics.

5) Think For Yourself : recorded Nov 8 65. Final mix: take 1 The first one of George two contributions. We can hear his voice and guitar playing evolution. His guitar blends well with Paul's fuzz bass.

6) The Word : recorded Nov 10 65. Final mix: take 3. Many will see here a precursor to 'All You Need is Love' A wonderful John and Paul duo, where john has the chorus to himself. I really love that one; it's so simple and yet so perfect, with Paul on piano, and George Martin plays harmonium.

7) Michelle : recorded Nov. 3 65. Final mix: take 2. One of those immortal ballads sung and written by Paul McCartney. John and George played acoustic besides Paul 'stretchy' bass. That couple of lines in French, made of it a very popular tune.

Side Two

1) What Goes On ? : recorded on Nov. 4 65, in one take. Ringo sings. That's one of those oldies John and Paul had written in the old days back in 63, and they had redone it for 'Rubber Soul' It's almost been recorded in 63, but plans were scrapped at the time. In 65, Ringo said he had contributed to "only five words" to 'What Goes On'.

2) Girl : recorded nov.11 65 in 2 takes, final mix, take 2. Here was another Lennon's masterpiece. It's almost the last to have been written and recorded. John's voice is perfect with Paul and George?s backing vocals. John plays acoustic, and George plays a 12 strings acoustic.

3) I'm Looking Through You : recorded Oct. 24 65. But remade on Nov. 6, and again, Nov. 10, with vocals overdubbed on Nov. 11 65. They had recorded 4 takes and take 4 was in the final mix. Paul's lead vocal is double tracked, and the effect is fantastic. Paul, with that voice that had contributed to raise the Beatles where they where, and where they still are: number ones. The bass and acoustic, does it for me. Ringo played Hammond organ on that one.

4) In My Life : recorded Oct. 18 65, with instrumental break over dubbed on Oct. 22. They made 3 takes of it, and take 3 was in the final mix. Originally written by Paul, (to give credit where it's due, John's lead vocal is double tracked. It's one of my personal all time favs, with George Martin was on piano, for that Elizabethan solo. John contribution to 'Rubber Soul' had been quite extraordinary. That song has been covered by so many.

5) Wait : recorded on June 17 65, with bits and pieces added on Nov 11 . That song, had been recorded during the 'Help' album sessions and as one more track was required to fill the album, they'd chosen that one. It's two joyous Lennon/McCartney, sounding like in the old days with those Ringo's drums rolls, and the unforgettable chorus. Listen very carefully to the drum and harmony till the last 'I feel like though...' part; those rising and falling volume level; George Martin was experimenting alright.

6) If I Needed Someone : recorded Oct. 16, with overdubs added on Oct. 18. The second George Harrison contribution; you may feel his urge to sing and write songs. Of course, Paul?s high pitch voice, greatly helps for that track, and you can hear how a fine bassist he had become. George's lead vocal is double tracked here, and his guitar was capoed. George Martin played harmonium, and as they had recorded only one take, it's the one that is in the final mix.

7) Run For Your Life : recorded Oct. 12 65, in 5 takes; take five in on the final mix. That intro, john Lennon's voice, the main riff along with George?s solo, and those sarcasm/jealousy lyrics, will make of it the 'Rubber Soul's closing track.

Rubber Soul', will be number one in the UK charts, for nine weeks from December the 25th 1965. Yes, such a great album !

The Beatles Rubber_y1_mo_ejd_back_large

George Harrison: Vocals, Guitar, Sitar, Tambourine
John Lennon: Vocals, Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Tambourine
Paul McCartney: Vocals, Bass, Bass Guitar, Guitar, Piano
Ringo Starr: Drums, Vocals, Hammond Organ, Tambourine

Mal Evans: Hammond Organ
George Martin: Harmonium, Piano, Tambourine

Drive My Car (2:30)
Recorded: October 13, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
John Lennon - lead vocal, tambourine
Paul McCartney - lead vocal, bass guitar, piano
George Harrison - lead guitar, background vocal
Ringo Starr - drums

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) (2:06)
Recorded: October 12, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England but remade October 21, 1965
John Lennon - lead vocal, capoed acoustic guitar
Paul McCartney - bass guitar, harmony vocal
George Harrison - sitar
Ringo Starr - tambourine

You Won't See Me (3:22)
Recorded: November 11, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
John Lennon - tambourine, background vocal
Ringo Starr - drums
Mal Evans - Hammond organ

Nowhere Man (2:45)
Recorded: October 21-22, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
John Lennon - lead vocal, acoustic guitar
George Harrison - lead guitar, harmony vocal
Ringo Starr - drums

Think for Yourself (2:19)
Recorded: November 8, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
Paul McCartney - fuzz bass, background vocal
George Harrison - lead vocal, lead guitar
Ringo Starr - drums, maracas

The Word (2:44)
Recorded: November 10, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
John Lennon - lead vocal, rhythm guitar
George Harrison - lead vocal, lead guitar
Ringo Starr - drums, maracas
George Martin - harmonium

Michelle (2:42)
Recorded: November 3, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
John Lennon - acoustic guitar, background vocal
Paul McCartney - lead vocal, bass guitar
George Harrison - acoustic guitar, background vocal
Ringo Starr - drums

What Goes on? (2:51)
Recorded: November 4, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
John Lennon - rhythm guitar, harmony vocal
George Harrison - lead guitar
Ringo Starr - lead vocal, drums

Girl (2:34)
Recorded: November 11, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
Paul McCartney - bass guitar, background vocal
George Harrison - 12 strings guitar, background vocal
Ringo Starr - drums

I'm Looking Through You (2:27)
Recorded: October 24, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England but remade November 6, 1965 and again November 10, 1965 with vocals overdubbed November 11, 1965
John Lennon - acoustic guitar, harmony vocal
Paul McCartney - double-tracked lead vocal, bass guitar
George Harrison - lead guitar, tambourine
Ringo Starr - drums, Hammond organ

In My Life (2:28)
Recorded: October 18, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England with the instrumental break overdubbed October 22, 1965
John Lennon - double-tracked lead vocal
Ringo Starr - drums
George Martin - piano

Wait (2:17)
Recorded: June 17, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England with bits and pieces overdubbed on November 11, 1965
John Lennon - lead vocal, tambourine
Paul McCartney - lead vocal, bass guitar
Ringo Starr - drums

If I Needed Someone (2:24)
Recorded: October 16, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England with overdubs added October 18, 1965
George Harrison - double-tracked lead vocal, capoed lead guitar
Ringo Starr - drums
George Martin - harmonium

Run for Your Life (2:19)
Recorded: October 12, 1965 at Abbey Road, London, England
Ringo Starr - drums
George Martin - tambourine